Boundaries may be the most important yet least talked about part of being a successful healer.
Not having healthy boundaries in any type of healing art business—including counseling, energy work, psychic readings, or even working as a hairdresser—will sap your joy, your energy, and even at times your health.
In any healthy healing art business, there are two core rules that you need to start with. Say these out loud right now as you read them.
I get paid a fair rate for what I do.
My private time (nonworking) is sacred and not to be interrupted with client concerns.
To that end here are some new business rules you need to take on right now to protect both your private time/space and money.
- Have a separate phone number for personal matters and for business. My service provider allowed me to put two numbers on one phone; they ring differently and have different text message accounts. This helps me know if that 1:30am call is from my mom telling me my dad had another heart attack or if it’s a client calling to reschedule an appointment. One I answer, one I deal with later. Or have two phones and turn one off; you don’t want clients to have instant and constant access to you when you are off duty.
- Have a detailed website and send people there: Trust me on this, you do not want to spend all day answering questions about your location and rates. On your phone leave an outbound message directing clients to your website and if they have further questions let them send you an email. People value things more if they take the time to do their own research.
- No crazy discounts: I know it’s tempting when you first start to offer big discounts to attract new clients but in truth what this usually attracts is clients who are unwilling to pay full price for anything and never become real clients. It’s better to spend a bit longer at your old career than to give it all away for free hoping people will like you.
- No signs on your car: Unlike someone selling light bulbs you really don’t want just any client. Trust me, you do not want someone at the grocery store parking lot asking you to give them a psychic reading while you load your car. Let your car be your sacred vehicle and your time in it your time.
- No “Free Consults”: You are not a lawyer; what you do is personal and healing, and they will feel some of your healing energy just by talking to you on the phone, which is time you are not paid for. You can answer a few questions not covered on your website (then go back and add that info to your website) but don’t spend more than a few minutes talking to them. The longer you talk to them for free on the phone, the LESS likely they are to book a session. If they already feel better, why would they book? Remember, you get paid for your time.
- Bonus: Highly recommend online booking: Clients love it and it cuts way back on client emails and texts which just take up time. No more back and forth on times/days and such. When clients book themselves, it’s just better all around.
These are just a starting point but if you are in a healing business, I strongly recommend you consider these rules to help you cultivate space and healthy respect from your clients. What you do is very important, and this will help you feel good about every minute of it.
Jill K Thomas CHT
Soul Connect Hypnotherapy
Author of the books “Tales from the Trance” & “Feed your Real Hunger”
Appointments available Globally by Video Chat