Afraid to fly? 7 Things you need to know
As a hypnotherapist, I see a lot of clients for fear of flying, it’s become one of my specialties. Often clients try to book a session a day or two before they are supposed to fly, hoping I can use my magic wand and make that fear be gone for good. I won’t lie, sometimes it is that easy but usually there is more to it than that. If you suffer from fear of flying, fear of tight spaces, or fear of driving, there are a few things you need to know about these fears.
- It’s rarely a pure fear of flying: Clients come in afraid to fly but when you dig deeper it’s not about flying but rather about fear of losing control or having no control in a situation.
If you are driving and you suddenly feel sick or very uncomfortable you can usually pull over and take a break; not so when you are in the middle seat in a plane. You can’t even use the bathroom without permission.
- If untreated it can become other things: Because it’s usually about fear of losing control, when this issue goes untreated the client can also find themselves developing other fears as well. Fear of driving on the freeway, fear of elevators/escalators. Heights are often associated fears. I see clients who are afraid to fly.
- There is almost never a single incident that started the fear: People can tell me when they first became aware of the fear, or when they first became uncomfortable flying but it’s almost never a direct result of something bad happening on a plane. Too bad, because if it was, it would be much easier to fix.
- It’s infectious: Many times, clients tell me they didn’t really have this fear until they had to travel with a friend or family member who was afraid to fly, that’s when it started.
- It can come out of nowhere: Frequently clients report that they were able to fly for years with no issues then suddenly it started to be really scary for them.
- It can start to really limit your life and your career: Clients who have this fear often miss out on amazing time connecting with family during travel or even hinder their professional careers by having to tell their boss that they can’t fly to that customer visit in another state. Don’t let this be you.
- Last but most important, this issue can be resolved and because fear of flying is typically not a stand-alone issue you may find that when you heal it you are also healing other fears and resistances to living a full life that may really be holding you back.
Love yourself enough to do the work of healing so that you can truly have a free and healthy life.
Jill K Thomas CHT
Soul Connect Hypnotherapy
Author of the books “Tales from the Trance” & “Feed your Real Hunger”
Appointments available Globally by Video Chat